Tag Archives: Ulysses

Spot anything familiar?

The map below is a revision conducted in 1908 of a survey done in 1837.  (The map is in two sections – the large white dividing space running vertically through the centre is the point of the division.) The section here clearly shows Mulligan’s at number 8, 9 and 10 Poolbeg Street. Number 8, Mulligan’s bar, is seen as a rectangle with the court-yard denoted as a thin white line in the top left-hand portion. The 1837 map would have shown only the front bar because the back portion (now the snug or Joyce Room) was not constructed until 1875.

1908 map

Number 9 is also represented as a rectangle. Again, the 1837 survey would only have shown the front lounge, as the back lounge was only built in 1875.

The Tivoli Theatre, later occupied by the Irish Press offices, is nearby. Both this theatre and Mulligan’s are mentioned in James Joyce’s short story, Counterparts, which is included in his book, Dubliners (1914).

The Public Baths on Tara Street are also designated. These were constructed in 1885 and mentioned in James Joyce’s book, Ulysses.

The image below is the section of the map showing the location of Mulligan’s at 8, 9 and 10 Poolbeg Street.

shepp

The Theatre Royal is also clearly seen in the larger image. This particular building was known as the Theatre Royal Hippodrome. It was knocked down and replaced by another Theatre Royal in 1935. This, in turn, was demolished in 1962 and, on the site, was built Hawkins House, the offices of the Department of Health & Children.

It is interesting to note that on Tara Street at number 45 on the map there is a fountain. If you click on the images they will enlarge and your can click again to get an even more detailed view of them.

James Joyce & the Mulligan’s area

 

JJ&m1
MappoMulligan’s

jjj7In Finnegans Wake by James Joyce the River Liffey is embodied in the voice of Anna Livia Plurabelle

cover_finnegans_wake

The river is also mentioned in Ulysses:

 A skiff, a crumpled throwaway, Elijah is coming, rode lightly down the Liffey, under Loopline Bridge, shooting the rapids where water chafed around the bridgepiers, sailing eastward past hulls and anchorchains, between the Custom House old dock and George’s quay.

 

jjj4The Tivoli Theatre (1898-1928)  was originally Conciliation Hall (1843), then the Grand Lyric Hall (1897), then the Lyric theatre of Varieties (1898) and finally the Tivoli Variety Theatre (1901).

jjj9

It is mentioned in a short story Counterparts that forms one of the collection in Dubliners by James Joyce:

Weathers saluted them and told the company that they were out of the Tivoli.

 

jjj3Mulligan’s is used as a setting in the narrative of Counterparts (Dubliners) by James Joyce. The author had to fight with the publishers to keep the name Mulligan’s in the story because they feared the publican, James Mulligan, would sue them.

 

tldub

When the Scotch House closed they went round to Mulligan’s.

 

jjj6James Joyce had a life-long love of opera. He was a competent tenor and did well in competitions in his younger years. He frequently attended performances at the Theatre Royal, Hawkins Street.

jjj11
The Theatre Royal (1897-1934)

 

jjj5The Crampton Memorial, at the junction of College Street/ Pearse Street and D’Olier Street was erected from the design of John Kirk the sculptor in 1862.  It was removed in 1959.

jjj10

The memorial is mentioned in Ulysses:

Sir Philip Crampton’s memorial fountain bust. But who was he?

 

jjj2The Tara Street Baths and Wash-house were designed by Daniel J. Freeman, Dublin city architect 1879-1893, with construction starting in 1884. Later altered by a successor C.J. McCarthy.  

jjj8

In Ulysses, Leopold Bloom uses the Tara Street public baths in the Lotus Eaters section of the novel.