Flann O’Brien used the Scotch House, Burgh Quay, Dublin, as his ‘office’. However, he had dozens of other haunts in Dublin, including Mulligan’s of Poolbeg Street, which is the near site where the Scotch House once stood.
As the years have gone by, his reputation internationally has grown enormously. However, one of the great story-tellers in the English language, Graham Greene, spotted the talent early on…
Writing under the pseudonym, Myles na gCopaleen, Flann mentioned Mulligan’s every now and then in his column in the Irish Times. In this particular extract, he refers to the theatrical association which the pub had because of its proximity to the Theatre Royal which once stood opposite the pub.
Find out the close relationship between Judy Garland and Mulligan’s which she forged during her visit to Ireland in June/July 1951
Mulligan’s the grand old pub of Poolbeg Street published by Mercier Press will be on sale in May 2015.
Below are two reviews of Judy Garland performances at the Theatre Royal which stood opposite Mulligan’s.
Around the Theatres
Audience Picked the Songs for Judy
Irish Press – Monday July 2nd, 1951
It was the audience (some four thousand) who chose Judy Garland’s songs for her at the Theatre Royal last night and the dynamic film star obliged with the old film favorites many of the ditties having an Irish tinge.
Simply dressed and taking part in good humoured repartee with the people who had flocked to see her, Miss Garland got down to business, flung off her shoes because her feet hurt and got her fans to sing with her “Nellie Kelly,” “Over the Rainbow,” “Great Day for the Irish” and “Pretty Girl Milking Her Cow.”
To about a dozen encores she sang songs from the radio and films, gay, sentimental and witty, accompanied by an excellent pianist named Buddy Pepper.
Her stage presence is easy and friendly and her come-backs to merry comments won quick and long applause.
She will sing at two more performances each night this week at the Royal.
A good supporting programme was led by Vic and Joe Crastoritan who combined a song-music-and-slapstick variety act in quick tempo. An unusual act was that of Harris and Jarius who played championship badminton on the stage.
Irish support for the Garland show was given by the Royalettes, comedian Harry Bailey, and the orchestra conducted by Jimmy Campbell.
Around the Theatres
Irish Press – Monday July 3rd, 1951
Miss Judy Garland will be the principal attraction for the thousands who will go to the ROYAL this week.
Miss Garland has an easy, courteous and friendly manner. At a press interview during the week she was able to talk to about twenty journalists and twice the number of film trade people for two hours without being bored.
She is friendly and courteous and never refuse to answer a question.
During the Press interviews the girls who work at the Metropole waved to her through the glass swing doors. Judy dropped the Press and film people to “have a chat with the girls.” They say it is a typical gesture.
I have read in the magazine press of Hollywood some intense and rather spiteful spate of gossip about many young actresses, including Judy.
I believe the efforts of the “journalists” there to provide “romantic sensations” from the lives of film people often result in a lot of unhappiness for the subjects of discussion.
Miss Garland told us that this type of journal thrives on this unhappiness. You may note that Dublin is at present flooded with such magazines, and that they form for some young Irish people about 80 percent of their conversation material. They are being paid for, indirectly or otherwise with dollars.
Judy Garland, by the way is one of the many American visitors with an Irish grandmother. Judy’s mother’s name was Milne, daughter of an emigrant from Dublin named Mary Fitzpatrick.
Remember the song she sang in “Nellie Kelly” – “The Pretty Girl Milking Her Cow.” Judy is providing herself with the Irish version – “Cailín Deas Cruidte na mBó” while in Ireland.
The map below is a revision conducted in 1908 of a survey done in 1837. (The map is in two sections – the large white dividing space running vertically through the centre is the point of the division.) The section here clearly shows Mulligan’s at number 8, 9 and 10 Poolbeg Street. Number 8, Mulligan’s bar, is seen as a rectangle with the court-yard denoted as a thin white line in the top left-hand portion. The 1837 map would have shown only the front bar because the back portion (now the snug or Joyce Room) was not constructed until 1875.
Number 9 is also represented as a rectangle. Again, the 1837 survey would only have shown the front lounge, as the back lounge was only built in 1875.
The Tivoli Theatre, later occupied by the Irish Press offices, is nearby. Both this theatre and Mulligan’s are mentioned in James Joyce’s short story, Counterparts, which is included in his book, Dubliners (1914).
The Public Baths on Tara Street are also designated. These were constructed in 1885 and mentioned in James Joyce’s book, Ulysses.
The image below is the section of the map showing the location of Mulligan’s at 8, 9 and 10 Poolbeg Street.
The Theatre Royal is also clearly seen in the larger image. This particular building was known as the Theatre Royal Hippodrome. It was knocked down and replaced by another Theatre Royal in 1935. This, in turn, was demolished in 1962 and, on the site, was built Hawkins House, the offices of the Department of Health & Children.
It is interesting to note that on Tara Street at number 45 on the map there is a fountain. If you click on the images they will enlarge and your can click again to get an even more detailed view of them.