This timeline is a taster of the sparkling stories ready to be revealed in Mulligan’s – the grand old pub of Poolbeg Street. The vignettes below represent a small selection of the wonders associated with the world-famous bar that are detailed in the book. It is time to kick off and where better place to start than at the beginning.
1782 – The licensed premises, known today as Mulligan’s, opens its doors for the first time. One of its original owners, Talbot Fyan, works with the Liberator, Daniel O’Connell, to safeguard the poverty-stricken and orphaned in Dublin.
1794 – Talbot Fyan becomes exasperated by the shortage of small denomination coins in circulation and decides to have his own minted.
1844 – Talbot Fyan auctions his pub and its contents.
1851 – John Mulligan and his wife Alicia take over the business in Poolbeg Street that is known today as John Mulligan’s.
1877 – Mary Alicia Mulligan is born to John and Alicia Mulligan at 78 Eccles Street, Dublin. The house is situated opposite number 7 Eccles Street, the house used by James Joyce as the address of Leopold Bloom in Ulysses.
The picture below was taken from number 7 Eccles Street. The house on the opposite, with red door, is number 78 which the Mulligan’s once owned and where Mary Alicia was born.
1875 – John Mulligan, who took over the pub in 1851, dies. His son, James, takes over the business. The image shows John Mulligan’s gravestone in Glasnevin cemetery.
1891 – The Irish leader, Charles Stewart Parnell – who numbered the owner of Mulligan’s, James Mulligan, among his many supporters – dies, leaving the cause of Irish nationalism bereft.
1913 – The industrial dispute, known as the 1913 Lockout, sees violence on the streets of Dublin. One man, who is wounded in the head in Poolbeg Street, is brought into Mulligan’s where he is given first aid before being removed to hospital.
1914 – Dubliners by James Joyce is published. The collection of short stories includes one, Counterparts, which is partly set in Mulligan’s.
1916 – Among those who set the type for the 1916 Proclamation is William F. O’Brien, an employee of O’Reilly Printers in Poolbeg Street and who is a regular in Mulligan’s.
1921 – Mulligan’s is raided by the Black and Tans.
1922 – Ulysses by James Joyce is published.
1939 – Flann O’Brien writes about the opening of Mulligan’s lounge bar and back lounge, number 9 Poolbeg Street. This gives the pub, located next door at number 8, more room for customers who have been flocking to it from the nearby Theatre Royal.
1947 – Jack Grealish, a journalist with the Irish Press brings the future President of the United States, John F. Kennedy, to Mulligan’s for a drink.
1951 – Judy Garland entertains the stage-hands of the Theatre Royal in Mulligan’s during her week-long schedule of performances.
1954 – Nat King Cole meets the co-owner of Mulligan’s, Con Cusack, and Mulligan’s barman, Seán O’Donohoe, at the pub.
1962 – Michael Smith, owner of Mulligan’s dies.
1976 – The music group, U2 is formed. Band members spend their early years frequenting Mulligan’s, planning their meteoric rise to fame.
1987 – Paddy Flynn, who began working in Mulligan’s in 1925 dies.
1989 – The Oscar-winning film, My Left Foot, begins shooting. A replica of Mulligan’s bar is used in the film.
1990s – Mulligan’s bar-tender, Christy Hynes, becomes one of several staff who report paranormal activity on the premises.
1994 – A photograph of three Mulligan’s barmen, Mick McGovern, Billy Phelan and Christy Hynes, picketing outside the premises is knocked off the front page of the Sunday Press because Ray Houghton scores the winning goal against Italy in the World Cup.
1995 – The last edition of the Irish Press is printed. Mulligan’s had relied greatly on the custom it generated in the area for more than 60 years.
1998 – Con Cusack, co-owner of Mulligan’s, retires.
2004 – The Minister for Health, Micheál Martin, chooses Mulligan’s to publicise the imposition of the smoking ban.
2006 – Tommie Cusack, co-owner of Mulligan’s, dies at the age of 78.
2012 – Con Houlihan, who has been intrinsically linked to Mulligan’s for almost 40 years, dies.
2012 – Filming begins of the Victorian crime series, Ripper Street, which uses Mulligan’s as a location.
2014 – Mulligan’s bar-tender, Noel Hawkins, welcomes former Mulligan’s bar-tender, Seán O’Donohoe, to his old work-place.