On the 1st and 2nd of May, 1883, just seven years after Alexander Graham Bell secured patent for the telephone, people in Dublin decided to give the new-fangled contraption a go.
A connection was set up between the Gaiety Theatre and a charity bazaar at the Coombe hospital to all visitors so they could hear a live opera.
One of the singers, whose voices was heard over the telephone, was Barton McGuckin whose name appears on the programme in the top right of the mount at Mulligan’s lounge bar. (This programme refers to a different performance, Faust, at the Theatre Royal).
The Freeman’s Journal reported on the event in its edition of 24 April, 1883:
The different airs , choruses and the music from the orchestra were distinctly audible while the noisy gods (people in the audience) …were also to be clearly heard.